Grab a ticket and some popcorn for our picks for the best games and sporting events in Houston in February 2022.
This month, the triumphant return of the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo is marked by the annual pre-Rodeo 10K event. Plus, the Toyota Center hosts MMA fights, an annual race of its own, and the Rockets as monster trucks take over NRG.
Elsewhere, the Cougars basketball team will look to continue their stellar run this season and the Sabercats will return to the rugby field.
We’ve rounded up the main highlights of this month’s sports calendar, but you can read more about the 365 Houston calendar.
Top 10 sports games and events this month: February 2022
- Houston Rockets vs. Cleveland Cavaliers at Toyota Center | Wednesday February 2 – It’s a draft pick battle downtown when rookies Jalen Green (No. 2) and Evan Mobley (No. 3) square off on the field as one of the best teams in the East arrives in town. $6 and up. 7 p.m.
- Houston Sabercats vs. Los Angeles Giltinis at Aveva Stadium | Saturday February 5 – Rugby returns with this home opener for the Sabercats, who will begin their fourth season in South Houston. $15 and up. 7 p.m.
- Monster Jam at NRG Stadium | Saturday February 5 and Sunday February 6 – Watch 12,000 pound monster trucks soar to dizzying heights in a harrowing display of motorsport mania. $20 to over $115. Saturday 7 p.m.; Sunday 3 p.m.
- Houston Cougars vs. Memphis Tigers at Fertitta Center | Saturday February 12 – Ravaged by injuries, the Coogs continue to win and are ranked among the top 10 teams in the country. This game against Memphis will also be broadcast live on ABC. $45 and up, but you can find hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork marketplace. 2:30 p.m.
- UFC 271: Israel Adesanya vs. Robert Whittaker at Toyota Center | Saturday February 12 – The world middleweight championship is on the line in this highly anticipated rematch between belt holder Israel Adesanya and former titlist Robert Whittaker. $100 to $500, but you can find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 5:15 p.m.
- 20th Anniversary Rocket Race at Toyota Center | Saturday February 19 – Benefiting Children’s Memorial Hermann Hospital, the laid-back, family-friendly Rockets Run is offered in 2-mile, 5K and Kids K increments, starting outside the Toyota Center and ending on a half-court. Participants will receive a ticket voucher for a Rockets game, a t-shirt and admission to a post-race party. Registration starts at $40. 7:30 a.m.
- Rodeo Run 10K at Sam Houston Park Downtown | Saturday February 26 – Help kick off the 90th Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo with the traditional Rodeo Run and Downtown Parade. Runners will compete in the wheelchair race, 10k or 5k events and then have the option of enjoying a post-race party at Eleanor Tinsley Park. $35 and up. 9 a.m.
- Triller Fight Club presents Triad Combat II, featuring Jason Aldean in concert at Toyota Center | Saturday February 26 – Nick Cannon hosts this team-based combat sport that sends fighters into a triangular ring for aggressive, fast-paced combat. Former UFC champions Junior Dos Santos and Vitor “The Phenom” Belfort are set to appear, and country artist Jason Aldean will perform a sold-out concert that night. $50 to $275. 7 p.m.
- Houston Cougars vs. SMU Mustangs at Fertitta Center | Sunday February 27 – One of the Cougars’ final home games of the season will pit them against Northern rivals SMU for control of the American Athletic Conference. $30 and up. Midday.
- Houston Rockets vs. Los Angeles Clippers at Toyota Center | Sunday February 27 – The Clippers come to town for a game that sees the Los Angeles team struggle to stay afloat in a crowded conference. $12 and up. 6 p.m.