Italy’s world number seven Matteo Berrettini has supported the decision to make COVID-19 vaccinations mandatory for players at next month’s Australian Open. In November, tournament chief Craig Tiley said all players participating in the first Grand Slam event of 2022 were to be fully vaccinated, after months of negotiations between Tennis Australia and the Victoria state government.
“I was vaccinated and from that point on things got better. I think the Australian government’s request makes sense, “Berrettini told Italy’s Sportface website on Monday. The measure cast doubt on Serbian Novak Djokovic’s participation in the tournament, as the world number one has yet to disclose his status. vaccine.
But Berrettini backed the move, having had to quarantine himself for two weeks at a hotel ahead of last year’s Australian Open. “Last year we tried something difficult. I wouldn’t wish anyone two weeks in quarantine like we did in 2021, “he said.
“For me, getting the vaccine is the right thing to do to get the world going. The 25-year-old had to withdraw from the ATP final last month due to injury, but has confirmed he will return for the season-opening ATP Cup in Sydney and the Open from Australia to Melbourne.
(This story was not edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)