Four-time Formula 1 world champion Alain Prost accused Alpine of disrespect on Monday after learning he had left the Renault-owned team of which he was a non-executive director. The 66-year-old, the only Frenchman to win the title, joined the team in 2017 as an advisor.
The media, including the official website www.Formula1.com, reported that Alpine did not renew Prost’s annual contract, although there was no official statement from the team, as part of direction changes. Prost said on his Instagram page that he was “very disappointed” with how the news came out.
“It was agreed that we would announce together with @alpinef1team! No respect sorry!” he said. “I declined the offer made to me in Abu Dhabi for the 2022 season due to a personal relationship and I was right! To the Enstone and Viry team, I will miss you. “
Alpine announced last week that executive director Marcin Budkowski, who effectively ran day-to-day operations, had left the team with general manager Laurent Rossi temporarily taking over. A restructuring a year ago saw the departure of team principal Cyril Abiteboul.
(This story has not been edited by the Devdiscourse team and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)