University of Maine officials have announced that the system requires proof of the COVID vaccine or a negative test for people attending all home basketball and hockey games.
ORONO, Maine – The University of Maine Department of Athletics announced new vaccine and COVID testing requirements for the 2021-22 winter sports season.
In a press release, school officials said people coming to all Black Bears home hockey and basketball games will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or proof of a negative PCR test within 72 hours after the game.
The policy takes effect on Friday, October 15, 2021.
According to the policy, fans must wear a mask covering their face and nose before entering any UMaine sports venue.
Staff remind people, by University of Maine System COVID Policy, “Face covering remains mandatory indoors for all people – students, staff, faculty and visitors, on campus at all UMaine Athletics sporting events, regardless of their immunization status. two-year-olds will have to wear a face cover, except when eating or drinking. “
DETAILED VACCINE POLICY / UMAINE COVID-19 TEST
- Accepted proof of vaccination includes: a valid COVID-19 vaccination card, a photocopy of a valid COVID-19 vaccination card, a photo of a valid COVID-19 vaccination card, or a green UMaine PointNClick confirmation screen.
- Children under 12 will not be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test or valid COVID-19 vaccination.
- UMaine students will be required to present a valid MaineCard or PointNClick green confirmation screen when entering sites.
- UMaine Athletics’ COVID-19 vaccination policy will also apply to events held at the Cross Insurance Center, Cross Insurance Arena and Augusta Civic Center.
- Guests who undergo enhanced screening will be asked a shortlist of questions related to symptoms of COVID-19. Guests will also undergo a temperature scan and must have a temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or lower to be permitted entry into the site.
- UMaine Athletics’ COVID-19 vaccination policy will be in effect for all men’s and women’s ice hockey and men’s and women’s basketball events.
According to the statement, if fans cannot provide a vaccine or proof of negative testing, they will be turned away from the games.
Officials are asking fans to purchase tickets before arriving and to attend matches well in advance of the start of events.
According to the statement, the policy applies to all Black Bear “home” games at the Augusta Civic Center, the Cross Insurance Center in Bangor and the Cross Insurance Arena in Portland.