To obtain an event in the Outdoors calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148 or by email at
. The deadline is 5 p.m. on Wednesday.
- May 14: Roseau/Lake of the Woods Sportsmans Club fry and membership drive, 4-8 p.m., Eagles Club, Lake Township near Warroad, Minnesota. Meat raffles, individual and family sports club memberships are available, as well as All Terrain Vehicle Association of Minnesota memberships. Meal $18 per person, $10 12 and under. Information:
The Facebook page.
- May 14: Photography Workshop, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., White Horse Hill Visitor Center near Devils Lake. Pre-registration required before May 1; $20 for students, $25 for Friends of White Horse Hill members, $35 for non-members, or $50 for Friends registration and membership. Sponsored by the Friends of White Horse Hill. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- May 14: Celebrate Migratory Bird Day at White Horse Hill, White Horse Hill National Game Preserve near Devils Lake. Guided birding tour at 7:00 a.m. (Refuge gates open at 6:30 p.m. for this weekend only), youth and family birding tour at 10:00 a.m., Visitor Center and Shop open noon to 4 p.m., and Jeopardy “Know Your Refuge” at 1 p.m. Information: (701) 766-4272.
- June 3-5: Agassiz Environmental Learning Center 30th Anniversary Celebration, Agassiz Environmental Learning Center, 400 Summit Ave. SW, Fertile, Minnesota. Information:
- June 25-26: Scheels Boundary Battle Catfish Tournament, Red River in Grand Forks and East Grand Forks. Limited to 50 two-person teams, the tournament is currently sold out. Teams wishing to join a waitlist can contact Tournament Director Brad Durick at (701) 739-5808.
- July 9th : Scheels Catfish Classic, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Red River to Moorhead. Entry fee $120, limited to 50 two-person teams. Information:
or Tournament Director Brad Durick, (701) 739-5808.
- July 16: Pembina Catfish Tournament, Red River near Pembina, North Dakota. Registration fee $100 per boat before June 16 and $125 per boat after. Minimum of 2 anglers per boat, and shore fishing is permitted. Over $5,000 in prizes. Launching and registration of boats from 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., and fishing will continue until 5 p.m.; teams must be back at the staging area or boat launch by 5:30 p.m. Info: email@example.com or
- July 29-30: REEL’M IN High School Fishing Tournament, Devils Lake. Each two-person student team fishes with a boat captain. To qualify, students must be involved with a fishing club, organization, or their school’s fishing team, have participated in a tournament such as the Angler Young Angler Series, Minnesota Fishing Challenge, or other charity tournaments. fundraising. Points will be awarded for the longest walleyes, white bass, northern pike and perch/crappies. First-place team students will each win $500 scholarships to Lake Region State College in Devils Lake. Second and third place teams will receive cash prizes of $300 and $200 respectively. The rules meeting is July 29 and the tournament is July 30; Johnnie Candle, walleye pro, fishing guide and outdoor communicator, runs the tournament; entry fee $40. More information:
; or contact Candle at (701) 371-9431 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- July 29-31: Cats Incredible Catfish Tournament and Dock Dogs competition, LaFave Park on the Red River in East Grand Forks. Tournament rules meet at 7 p.m. on July 29, with fishing hours from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. on July 30 and July 31. Info:
email@example.com or by phone at (218) 399-3474.
- August 12-13: Catfish Capital Challenge, Red River to Drayton, ND. Fishing hours from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. both days, with a rules meeting at 7 p.m. on August 11 at Johnny Bravos in downtown Drayton. Registration fee $300 per team of two people. Information:
- June 10-12: 46th Annual Bemidji Hangfires, 9179 Beltrami Road, Bemidji. For further information: Keith Johnson, (218) 751-9433, (218) 368-7482 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 16-17: Bearclaw Muzzleloaders of Northern Minnesota annual meet, Height O’Land Sportsman Club, 15 miles east of Detroit Lakes, Minnesota, off Highway 34. Info: Allan Witthoeft, (218) 841-7096 ; or Dale Bellefy, (218) 694-2994.
- June 19-25: 2022 Hautes Plaines Regional Rendezvous, 9179 Beltrami Line Road SW, Bemidji. Information:
- August 6-7: Coon ‘N Crockett Muzzleloaders Black Powder Match, East Grand Forks Rod and Gun Club, 12923 480th Ave. NW, East Grand Forks. For further information: (701) 922-1813; or email@example.com; or
- August 19-21: Lake Country Mountaineers Black Powder Club 42nd Annual Meet, Pioneer Grounds near Perham, Minnesota. Information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- September 23-25: 49th Annual Plainsmen Gunpowder Club shoot and meet, original site of the Hudson’s Bay Trading Post near Georgetown, Minnesota. Directions/info: Mark Roster, president, (701) 799-0980; Dave Zaeski, vice president, (701) 367-6811; or email@example.com.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is continuing its hunting, fishing, and outdoor learning webinar series this spring. The webinars, which are free, start at noon on Wednesday and pre-registration is required at
. The webinars are also recorded and available online. The next webinars are:
- May 11: Favorite fishing lures of MNR staff. DNR staffers share some of their top secret lures and how to use them.
- May 18: Walleye fishing for beginners. Nancy Koep, professional angler and bait shop owner, will cover the basics of walleye fishing. She will also provide information on her Becoming an Outdoors Woman Walleye Fishing Weekend scheduled for July 2022.
- May 25: Youth fishing leagues. Eric Altena, DNR Director of Fisheries and bass fishing expert, will share ideas and resources to help young anglers connect with Minnesota’s growing number of high school fishing leagues and clubs.